Wednesday, July 16

SOBBING & BLUBBERING : how to deal with emotional situations

Student nurse or not, there are always going to be moments in life when emotions take over and flood you uncontrollably. It is a perfectly human trait, and without those emotions we might as well be walking robots, but what we expect to see as we grow older is simply an ability to control it better. 
Like most things, it's easier said that done. Recent days have certainly been eye-opening. I still have a long way to go when it comes to holding back those tears. I'm a sensitive and emotional human being. mummy always said it was my best trait, hmmm... 

Usually constructive criticism is something I can appreciate but lately... as soon as anyone looks at me in the way that says 'What are you doing?!' it makes me tear up. Yep, silly I know but it's just what happens and there is no stopping them little buggers, trust me, I've tried. 

The only thing to do in that situation is to think how you can deal with the situation better next time. We are forever learning from our own mistakes and this is no exception. 

So, I've come up with a few things which have helped me cut down on those emotional, tear filled moments. 

  1. Write a reflection. Again, this is one of the things I wish I have done more of right from the beginning of this placement. Using a simple reflective model such as GIBBS and applying it to a situation you have been faced with can help figure out what exactly it was that made you feel upset in the first place ( Diagram below) Which brings me onto my next point... 
  2. Take 5 minutes. I know it sounds simple, but you'd be surprised to know how many of us try to just keep it together rather than asking to take a few minutes to compose ourselves. It can be anywhere away from the situation which is making you emotional. A couple of deep breaths, a few happy thoughts and it should be much easier to deal with a given situation calmly.
  3. Get to the bottom of things. It can sometimes be difficult to know exactly what made you feel sad. I have certainly been there before. Before I even realise, I have turned into a blubbering mess, and there is no time to figure out why. Knowing what triggers what emotion can help you avoid it in the future. It links closely to tip #2 but I'm stating it loud and clear just in case! :) 
  4. Don't be afraid to say how you feel. I still struggle with this although I can already see how doing so can make things easier. When it comes to confronting someone about the way they speak to you or the tasks they give you, most of us curl up our tails and stay hush. Doing that can be safe but it certainly won't get things sorted. Expressing your emotions and feelings in a professional manner can help others understand your feelings and help you get through it. Nurses too can be nice sometimes. ;)
  5. No problem is too small, and the most silly question is the one you don't ask. Does exactly what it says on the tin. Questions aid communication and help to seek clarity in any situation. Chances are, when you get an answer the question won't seem all that scary anymore! 
That shall be all my beautiful people! 
I hope that you have found those useful. Don't hesitate to ask and comment about any of this. 

Have a wonderful Wednesday night, 

Lots of love 

Student nurse UK

No comments:

Post a Comment